15 years makes you one of the wise ones. You know your stuff and the stories and the skeletons that make us who we are today. One thing is certain- we wouldn’t have come this far without your intelligence, persistence and flexibility. So it’s with pride that we honor your service with this Elder of the Tribe Award.
As my fabulous colleagues toasted me with these words for my 15 year anniversary at Babcock & Jenkins this week, I had a moment to reflect on my 15++ years in B2B marketing.
From the Elder’s chair, the lessons in B2B marketing are extensive. However, it’s my pleasure to share the best of the best…
- We’re in the business of storytelling – so always make sure your storyline comes through.
- Data and analytics are at the heart of effective marketing.
- Modern marketing allows you to make EVERY dollar invested accountable back to revenue – if you’re not getting the answers you need, push harder.
- Surround yourself with smart people.
- LOVE what you’re doing.
- Great marketing requires use of the LEFT and RIGHT sides of the brain – embrace it or collaborate with team mates who bring both sides to the table.
- Embrace change.
- Clients love chocolate. (-:
- B2B is truly Business to Buyer – we’re selling to people so connect with them in a human and personal way.
- Be a trusted advisor.
- Read vigorously (I have much work to do here).
- When plans don’t go as expected, drink bourbon… then pick up the pieces and move forward.
- Don’t be afraid to challenge the status quo. Next practice is better than best practice.
- BE ENTHUSIASTIC (my #1). “Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
We’re in an amazing field – ENJOY!
I’d love to hear your additional words of wisdom. Please add on to the list.